Не всички глаголи в английския език са еднакви. Те се разделят на три основни групи: Normal Verbs, Non-Continuous Verbs и Mixed Verbs.
Обикновено тези глаголи са физически действия, за които можем да видим, че някой ги извършва. Те може да бъдат използвани във всички глаголни времена в английския език.
Normal Verbs: to run, to walk, to eat, to fly, to go, to say, to touch, etc.
Втората група е по-малка. Тези глаголи обикновено са неща, за които не е възможно да бъдат видени някой да ги върши. Глаголите от този тип рядко са използвани в продължителни глаголни времена. Те включват:
to be, to want, to cost, to seem, to need, to care, to contain, to owe, to exist…
to possess, to own, to belong…
to like, to love, to hate, to dislike, to fear, to envy, to mind…
- He is needing help now. Not Correct
- He needs help now. Correct
- He is wanting a drink now. Not Correct
- He wants a drink now. Correct
to appear, to feel, to have, to hear, to look, to see, to weigh…
- Donna appears confused. Non-Continuous Verb
Donna seems confused.
- My favourite singer is appearing at the jazz club tonight. Normal Verb
My favourite singer is giving a performance at the jazz club tonight.
- I have a dollar now. Non-Continuous Verb
I possess a dollar.
- I am having fun now. Normal Verb
I am experiencing fun now.
- She hears the music. Non-Continuous Verb
She hears the music with her ears.
- She is hearing voices. Normal Verb
She hears something others cannot hear. She is hearing voices in her mind.
- Nancy looks tired. Non-Continuous Verb
She seems tired.
- Farah is looking at the pictures. Normal Verb
She is looking with her eyes.
- John misses Sally. Non-Continuous Verb
He is sad because she is not there.
- Debbie is missing her favourite TV program. Normal Verb
She is not there to see her favourite program.
- I see her. Non-Continuous Verb
I see her with my eyes.
- I am seeing the doctor. Normal Verb
I am visiting or consulting with a doctor. (Also used with dentist and lawyer.)
- I am seeing her. Normal Verb
I am having a relationship with her.
- He is seeing ghosts at night. Normal Verb
He sees something others cannot see. For example ghosts, aura, a vision of the future, etc.
- The coffee smells good. Non-Continuous Verb
The coffee has a good smell.
- I am smelling the flowers. Normal Verb
I am sniffing the flowers to see what their smell is like.
- The coffee tastes good. Non-Continuous Verb
The coffee has a good taste.
- I am tasting the cake. Normal Verb
I am trying the cake to see what it tastes like.
- He thinks the test is easy. Non-Continuous Verb
He considers the test to be easy.
- She is thinking about the question. Normal Verb
She is pondering the question, going over it in her mind.
- The table weighs a lot. Non-Continuous Verb
The table is heavy.
- She is weighing herself. Normal Verb
She is determining her weight.
Някои глаголи може да бъдат много объркващи:
- Joe is American. Non-Continuous Verb
Joe is an American citizen.
- Joe is being very American. Normal Verb
Joe is behaving like a stereotypical American.
- Joe is being very rude. Normal Verb
Joe is behaving very rudely. Usually he is not rude.
- Joe is being very formal. Normal Verb
Joe is behaving very formally. Usually he is not formal.
Глаголът „to be” в английскиия език се използва само рядко в продължителна форма. Това най-често се прави, когато даден човек временно се дължи лошо, или това е постоянно негово поведение. Може да бъде използвано и когато нечие поведение е забележимо различно.
- The massage feels great. Non-Continuous Verb
The massage has a pleasing feeling.
- I don’t feel well today. Sometimes used as Non-Continuous Verb
I am a little sick.
- I am not feeling well today. Sometimes used as Normal Verb
I am a little sick.